Spring is in the air, and it’s the perfect time to open the windows, let some warm air in and do a thorough spring clean to freshen up your home in time for summer. At Nu Style Shutters, we are the experts in supplying high quality roller shutters and outdoor blinds to homes and businesses throughout Perth. Whether you’re cleaning up for guests or playing catch up after neglecting your blinds and shutters for too long, we have few helpful cleaning tips which should help to make the job easier and give you the best results.
Cleaning Outdoor Blinds
While most of us retreat indoors over the winter months, outdoor blinds tend to accumulate dirt, dust and grime. Fortunately, cleaning them is a simple process and it only takes a few steps to get them looking as good as new again. You will need a soft cloth or microfibre towel, a very soft bristle brush (a dustpan brush will work well) and a bucket of warm, soapy water (a few caps of normal dish-washing detergent or car wash will be sufficient).
- Start by rolling your alfresco blinds completely down and rising them this will help remove any debris and begin to break up any dirt on the fabric and framework.
- Wipe over the fabric with warm soapy water and a soft fabric cloth. Avoid using any bleach, thinners, cleaning chemicals, abrasive cleaning fluids, alcohol, or solvents, and don’t scrub too harshly.
- For tougher stains or stains on the aluminium components or framework of the blinds, resist the urge to scrub harder. Instead, use another microfiber towel with a small amount of mentholated spirits. The metholated spirits will act like a polish, cleaning away grime from the metal. However, be sure to avoid putting any metholated spirits onto the fabric component
- Rinse off all soap with fresh water and wipe dry with a soft cloth or chamois.
- Remember to allow your outdoor blinds to completely dry before retracting, failing to do so can cause permanent damage.
Cleaning Plantation Shutters
Spring is the time of year for allergies, to keep allergens away, it’s essential to clean your interior shutters regularly.
- Start by using a vacuum with the brush attachment over the shutters to remove as much dirt and dust as possible.
- To reach any left-over dust, work a soft dusting cloth in between each slat.
- Wet a cloth with some warm water or use a soft microfiber towel and gently wipe away any built-up dirt or grime.
- When finished, take a dry, soft cloth and thoroughly dry each slat. This is essential in avoiding warping or damage to the material especially if you have timber plantation shutters
Cleaning Roller Shutters
Exterior roller shutters are constantly exposed to the elements and can quickly become covered in damaging dirt and dust. Cleaning can be a little more complex, especially if your home is double-storey. In this case, you may need a ladder or extension poles for your cleaning tools.
- Gently wipe your roller shutters using a cloth with water and a mild detergent. Pay close attention to the hard to reach spots between the slats and along the guides as this is where most of the dirt will build up.
- Dip a soft-bristled brush in the warm, soapy water. With the shutters in the closed position, gently wipe them in an up and down motion. Don’t use a side-to-side motion, as this could cause the individual slats in the shutter to become misaligned.
- If you see mildew on your shutters, it can be removed using a solution of one-part metholated spirits and five parts water. Try this solution on a small area first to make sure it doesn’t discolour your shutters.
- Rinse thoroughly with a garden hose or pressure washer, do not put the pressure washer too close stay at least 1.5m back.
- Avoid spraying water into the corner of the pelmet if you have electric roller shutters with a motor
- Dry shutters with a soft, clean cloth. Be sure to use the up and down motion so your slats stay in the proper alignment.
- Don’t forget to clean between the guides of the shutter. To do this, raise your roller shutter, ensuring it is completely open. Gently and carefully wipe away the dirt and dust from inside the guide with a soft bristled brush.
For more advice on cleaning your roller shutters and blinds, or for more information on our great range of products, visit our showrooms conveniently located in Malaga and Subiaco or give us a call today on 1300 296 820.