Roller shutters are an excellent way to keep your house safe, protect your valuable possessions and keep your loved ones secure. Two of the most commonly used roller shutters are electric and manual, and there are advantages and disadvantages to both types. At Nu Style Shutters, we have over 30 years’ experience and have earned a reputation as a leading supplier of manual and electric roller shutters in Perth. If you are unsure on which roller shutters to invest in for your home, read on to find out which type best suits your needs.
Manual or Electric?
Up to a certain width and height you will generally get a choice whether to have manually operated or electric roller shutters, but once the shutters pass a certain size and weight limit they’ll need to be electrically operated.
Electric Roller Shutters
Electric roller shutters have a 240v tubular motor that allows you to open and close them at the turn of a switch. Although batter operated and solar motors are available, the majority of roller shutters found in west Australian homes are hard wired to your electrical supply. Electric roller shutters are operated using a switch located typically close to the opening or via a wirless remote control.
- Easy to open and close when needed, and the ability to operate from anywhere in your home with a remote modle.
- With the a Wifi controller they can be set to operate automatically at a given time, and controlled as a group from your laptop, phone or tablet.
- Master Remote systems are available for the instance where every door and window in the house is covered. This allows you to operate the roller shutters together rather than leaving you walking around operating each one individually.
- They are very durable and generally last double the length of the warranty period
- The installation of electric roller shutters is much cleaner involving less drilling in your home. With remote models requiring no drilling or trades people to enter your home
- No Physical winding or effort required, for elderly or people with shoulder/arm injuries
- The maximum span of electric shutters can be up to 4.5meters.
- The motor locks in the fully down position offering better security
- No unsightly cord, tape and winder box in your home
- Less chance of wear and tear and servicing costs in the future
- Typically a longer warranty
- Electric roller shutters are slightly more expensive than cheaper manual types.
- It’s important to consider a emergency batter system your area frequently loses power and you would require immediate use of the roller shutters (i.e. a commercial business with roller shutters).
Manual Roller Shutters
Manual roller shutters have a winder box mounted inside your home on one side of each opening that allows you to roll them up and down as needed, by turning a handle and gears inside the winder box.
- They are cost-effective and easy to install. Manual roller shutters are really affordable and can provide the same benefits as electric ones.
- No electrician required to install them and no requirement for access to power.
- Perfect for rooms that will never be used.
- Will give the user a “mini workout” each time they bring the shutter up and down
- You have to open and close each shutter individually. This may be a bit of a hassle and can take time if you need to open them every morning and close every night.
- Cannot be done on big windows or doorways as they are simply to heavy to lift.
- More frequent servicing required with the ability for the tape to wear out if used often.
- Can be lifted by would be intruders from the outside of your home much easier than an electric roller shutter.
- Manual roller shutters will be operated by a system of cranks and winders and this can be a very physical task and is not suited to seniors, or anyone with a disability or injury effecting the use of arms and shoulders
Converting Manual Roller Shutters to Electric
If you currently have manual roller shutters in your home, they can easily be converted to electric operation at a fraction of the expense of replacing them all. This is a great idea if your manual roller shutter strap has broken or you are finding the roller shutters harder to lift, especially if your existing roller shutters have been well maintained and are still in good condition. If you are tired of manually winding your roller shutters, don’t have the strength to use the winder anymore or simply want the convenience of being able to control the operation from anywhere, a conversion may be the answer for you. Converting your existing manual shutters to a motorised system has many benefits including:
- Your roller shutters will operate at a press of a button.
- With a Wifi hub you can set the timer function to allow your shutters to open and close every day at any time you like.
- A real benefit is to people suffering from arthritis, or other such illnesses causing pain when operating manual roller shutters.
- Significantly more affordable than replacing manual shutters with electric shutters and good value when comparing the cost of replacing a manual winder box with the cost of a conversion upgrade.
If you are wanting to install manual or electric roller shutters or if you have existing manual shutters on your home and would like to convert them to electric, give the team at Nu Style Shutters a call today. Our friendly and knowledgeable team are available to answer your enquiries during business hours on 1800-861-335 or you can submit an online enquiry and we will get back to you as quickly as possible. Contact us now. With the rite information and a 5 minute conversation a quotation to convert your roller shutters to electric can typically be given over the phone by our professional service team feel free to call us today.