Like most exterior surfaces, window roller shutters are constantly exposed to the elements. Wind, rain and dust can impact the look of your shutters as well as the operation, so keeping them clean and well-maintained is essential. Fortunately, the cleaning process is quick and easy, meaning you don’t have to spend hours scrubbing to avoid a build-up of dirt and debris that might prevent their smooth operation. At Nu Style Shutters, we have over 20 years’ experience providing high quality roller shutters to homes and businesses across Perth. Here’s our guide to keeping your roller shutters clean so they look and operate at their best.
What Can Happen If I Don’t Clean My Roller Shutters?
Shutters can quickly become covered in dirt and dust, which can cause the mechanisms to seize up and become jammed. Excess dirt on the surface of the shutter can also result in the slats becoming scratched.
What Cleaning Equipment Do I Need?
All you need to properly clean your roller shutters is a soft cloth/sponge, a soft-bristled brush, mild detergent such as dishwashing liquid and a bucket of warm water.
Steps for Cleaning Your Roller Shutters
- With the shutters just slightly open, brush out the ventilation holes and then brush away any debris from the surface.
- Hose your shutters down with a garden hose, ensuring the water pressure isn’t too high. Do not use a high pressure cleaner.
- Wash your roller shutters using a sponge and a mild detergent in warm water ensuring, you pay close attention to the hard to reach spots between the slats and along the guides – these spots are where most of the dirt will build up.
- Dip your soft bristle brush in the warm, soapy water. With the shutters in the closed position, gently wipe them in an up and down motion. A side-to-side motion could cause the individual slats to become misaligned.
- Using your garden hose, give them a quick rinse with clean water.
- Dry them with a soft cloth. Be sure to use the up and down motion so your slats stay in the proper alignment.
The final step is to clean between the guides of the roller shutter:
- First raise your roller shutter, ensuring it is completely open.
- Gently wipe away the dirt and dust from inside the guide with your soft bristled brush. You can also clean the guides by spraying them with running water from a garden hose, making sure the water pressure isn’t too high.
- Allow the guides to dry completely before you close your shutters.
Extra Hints and Tips
- You should aim to clean your roller shutters 3 times a year to keep them in perfect working order.
- Do not use abrasive cleaners, solvents or methylated spirits to clean your roller shutters, and avoid steel wool, scrubbing brushes or scrapers, as these could potentially damage the enamel surface.
- When hosing down, you should try to avoid spraying water directly into the pelmet or head box.
- Greasing the bearings once a year will ensure that the rolling mechanism continues to operate smoothly, and lubricating the guide rails at the same time will also mean easy opening and closing.
If you need more advice on cleaning and maintaining your shutters or if you are considering installing roller shutters to your Perth home or business, then get in touch with us today. Nu Style Shutters are Perth’s leading experts in the manufacture, supply and installation of roller shutters and outdoor blinds. Speak to us about our high quality, innovative and affordable range that will increase the appearance and safety of your home and enhance the value of your property. Call us on 1300 296 820 or get a free quote online now.